My Blog Story: Advice for New Bloggers

Hello readers! The blog service provider of my blog (and all of our student blogs), Edublogs, has started something called, “Edublogs Club” and I first heard about it on an e-mail they sent last year. Basically what they’re doing this year is sending out a weekly e-mail and posting on “The Edublogger blog” about a particular blog topic to write about. I’ll be writing a blog post based on each weeks topic and have just created the “Edublogs Club” category so that you can follow all of the weekly blog posts in one page.

The first weekly topic was announced last week: “My Blog Story” and that relates to this blog.

A variety of questions were suggested as possible topics for blog posts and I have chosen to answer the question that reads:

“If you are more experienced at blogging, do you have any advice for newbies?”

My blog background:

I’ve been blogging for over 4 years now. I started this blog, “Words from a Warrior” (which was recently known as Luis’s CSU Stanislaus Blog) on November 5th, 2012, and it is a part of Stanislaus State’s Admissions and Outreach department’s “Student Blogging Project”. I’ve written over 140 blog posts (this is post #148) and I hope to reach 200 posts by the time I graduate this semester.

My advice:

• A way to overcome “bloggers block”
    One thing that most, if not all, bloggers go through is through what is known as “writers block” or “bloggers block” in this case. If you don’t know what that is, it’s the time when you just aren’t sure of what to write about or how to continue writing about your topic. What I have done to overcome this is to plan a series of posts so you have an idea of what to write about for your next blog post.For example, in my blog I have a series of blog posts called, “narrative”, in which I write about different memorable times that I’ve had while being a college student. I also have other series like my “resources” posts which include helpful blog posts (like this post) and a new series called “Warrior Alumni”, a series of posts about Stanislaus State alumni, which will have its first blog post soon!

• Learn HTML
    I started learning HTML or Hyper Text Markup Language when I was in middle school and it is something great to know about being a blogger. HTML is in English terms, the language of the internet. It’s not a difficult language to learn and will allow you to customize your blogs template if you are able to, add any HTML coding to a part of your template (which is the case for WordPress bloggers if you have the text widget)  or at least edit your blog posts coding (if you’re using a WordPress blog, you simply click on “Text” which is next to the “Visual” editor tab on the add new or edit post screen, and you’ll see the HTML coding of that blog post). A great HTML learning resource website is www.w3schools.com/html/

• Use lists for some of your posts
    If you’ve seen some of my other blog posts (and this one 😆 ) you may have noticed that I use the “bulleted” list quite often. Using any kind of list “bulleted or numbered” allows your post to be organized.

• Add links to older posts
    You’ll notice that I tend to reference to some of my older posts sometimes and that is something great to do especially when you have been blogging for a while. Most of your new readers may have not read your first posts or even posts from a month ago if they’re not on your main page anymore so it’s good to reference them and add link to them in your posts.

• Ask a question at the end of your posts
    This is something that I didn’t do when I first started my blog but is now something that is seen on most of my blog posts. It’s something great to do as your readers will be able to answer a question that you create and not just leave a comment on the blog.

• Enable Google Analytics
    If your using a WordPress blog, there’s an option to enable Google Analytics (you have to create an account with Google Analytics first) and I recommend that you activate it on your blog. If you’re using a different blogging service there may be an option as well or you may have to reference Google to figure out how to activate it on your blog. Google Analytics is a free service that allows you to look at the statistics of your website. As a blogger it’s always great to know how much page views the blog receives each month and which posts are the most viewed.

• Don’t fear the comment-free blog post
    For the month of April in 2014, my blog had 394 page views and I won this Stanislaus shirt in a blogger contest we had.

My last advice is about one of the fears of many bloggers: having posts with no comments. Most, if not, all bloggers have had blog posts that have not received a comment. Don’t let this be something that demotivates you. Most of those blog posts are still read by a lot of visitors. I’ve had a lot of blog posts that have not received comments but I know that they have been viewed by many visitors (thanks to Google Analytics).

Are you a new blogger, have you been a blogger for many years as well? Do you have any advice that you’d like to share as well?

2 thoughts on “My Blog Story: Advice for New Bloggers

1. Hi Luis

Welcome to the Edublogs Club and thanks for sharing your tips!

Great tips for dealing with blogger block. I’ve planned a series of posts and it really helps! I also encourage the use of lists and remembering to hyperlink. I would also add heading styles which effectively you’ve also done in your post. Breaking up posts with headings, lists and images/embeds makes the posts easier to read.

I’m going to disagree about HTML but there is a experienced bloggers that would disagree with me and agree with you. However, I’ll agree that understanding the basics does help! And it is mostly to do with the fact that we can now achieve pretty much everything we need with the Visual editor or by enabling plugins that add extra functionality to the Visual editor. We also now have a Visual Editor widget which makes it so easy.

You don’t need to set up Google Analytics on a Edublogs blog if you don’t want to. All Pro users automatically have the stats from Google Analytics added to their dashboard under Dashboard > Statistics. However, if you want more detailed stats than it is worth considering.

Looking forward to reading your post on your office space this week!

@suewaters

• Hi Sue,

Thank you! The Visual Editor has definitely changed a lot since I first began my blog four years ago. It’s great to know that there are now plugins that allow you to add more options to it.

The office space post will be posted soon.